What Causes Hair Loss?
Sign up to get a 15% discount
Hair loss has always been considered a male problem; however, statistics show that women are also likely to lose their hair as they age. The majority of women who lose their hair notice it in their 50s, but it might happen at any age and is affected by different reasons.
The causes of hair loss are different, and the most common ones are listed below:
- Unbalanced diet
- Physical or emotional stress
- Hormonal imbalances
- Absence of proper hair care
- Autoimmune disorders
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, it is normal for women to lose approximately 50–100 strands of hair each day. These old shedding hairs are usually replaced with the new ones. If you notice that your hairbrush and your shower have more shed hair than it used to, you might need to investigate what is causing you to lose hair.
How Hair Loss Can Be Prevented?
Our diet and lifestyle play a significant role in how our hair feels and looks. It is important to make sure to consume foods that are high in minerals and vitamins, such as selenium, vitamins A, E, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Sometimes, problems with hair may be a result of underlying hormonal imbalances, which we discussed previously. In many cases, once hormonal levels are restored, skin and hair texture improves automatically.
Sometimes it can be a stressful lifestyle or life-changing events such as pregnancy, surgery, or other chronic medical conditions that cause a person to lose her hair. Regardless of the reason, it is important to always address underlying problems and follow the simple hair-care strategies listed below:
- Keep your hair clean. Our hair is very absorbent, and it attracts and holds molecules of polluted substances from the air. Washing your hair helps to remove the chemicals that you might have absorbed from the air and to prevent them from being absorbed into your system.
- Treat your hair gently. Avoid over-processing and overheating your hair. Chemicals in hair coloring and high heat settings on your flat or curling iron can damage your hair, causing changes in your hair texture and hair loss. Choose natural and organic hair coloring products with fewer chemicals in them. Give color holidays to your hair by changing your hairstyle and color back to your natural looks, and don’t color your hair for several months. Treat your hair with nourishing and soothing creams or oil treatments to revitalize and to support your hair.
- Protect your hair from damage caused by direct sun exposure. Sun exposure can cause damage to protein in your hair called keratin, which will make your hair thinner and more breakable. Choose hair-care products that are free of chemicals and contain sunscreen.
How does it work?
Platelet Rich Plasma is a concentrated autologous preparation of platelets in a small volume of plasma, containing approximately 3-5 times the amount of platelets and associated growth factors than found in the regular blood.
Platelets are active components of the natural healing process. When activated platelets release growth factors and these molecules are responsible in activating and regulating the healing process in our body. Platelets release components such as Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF), Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF), Transforming Growth Factor (TGF) among other bioactive components.
How Is PRP Procedure Performed?
At the ReBalance of Radiance Aesthetics & Wellness, the this procedure is performed by a certified medical hair loss specialist in a clinical setting.
- A blood sample from your body is obtained ( similar to a regular blood test procedure), and prepared by spinning it in a special centrifuge machine. The specimen obtained is a liquid with the highly concentrated platelet rich plasma, which contains many growth factors.
- Your scalp is prepared with a special microneedle therapy, and the platelet-rich liquid is injected into your scalp under local anesthesia.
Your hair will be cleaned and you would be able to return home or work immediately. Anesthetic medication used to numb the skin is not sedating, and you will be able to drive or use machinery safely.
Is It For Me?
Even though there is no guarantee that this treatment has absolute effectiveness in hair restoration, hair loss cure, preliminary results of the studies have promising results. Its considered a safe natural treatment since it utilizes the platelets from your own body and there is minimal chance of developing an allergic reaction.
This PPR hair restoration procedure needs to be performed several times (we recommend at least 3 sessions), every three to four weeks to be effective. It can help create new blood vessels in your scalp and stimulate hair growth and in some cases leading to a full hair restoration.
PRP is considered relatively safe and does not cause allergic or hypersensitive reactions. You might experience a mild inflammatory response at the procedure site, which might cause tenderness of your scalp for several days.
Can It Be Used With Other Therapies?
Absolutely. In fact, this therapy might be more successful if used with other nonsurgical approaches such as Minoxidil and DHT blocker therapies. It could also be an alternative option for those who are not candidates to perform more invasive surgical procedures for hair restoration and hair loss cure.
Dr. Fazylova and Staff at ReBalance of Radiance Aesthetic & Wellness strive to provide holistic and individualized care to help you on your journey to a better health and vibrant appearance.
ReBalance of Radiance Aesthetics & Wellness
Aesthetic, Integrative Health & Functional Medicine Specialist
635 Madison Ave #1401
New York, NY 10022